View eastwards over the Great Opencast Pit, beyond which lies the Hillside Pit. These represent the area from which much of the ore was removed in the period 1765 to about 1850. In the second half of the 19th century, some shafts and underground workings were developed below these pits. Modern drilling started about 1960 and continued episodically until 1990, particularly to the west of the Great Opencast Pit, where the massive sulfide-bearing Chapel and Engine Zones were discovered, as well as silica-rich intervals known as White-Rock Zones.





Home - Company Profile - Global Portfolio - Mineral Deposit Publications
Methodology - General Research Publications - Contact Us

Page design copyright © 1998 Palomar Media Corporation. All rights reserved.
Registered trademarks are used under license and are the property of their respective owners.